Over 30 Years Of Trusted And Respected Representation
In loving Memory
Nov 30, 1948 – Feb 16, 2022
William “Bill” Cornelius Last, Jr. passed away peacefully on February 16, 2022 after a courageous battle with cancer. He was 73.
Bill was a life-long Bay Area resident. He was a proud member of the Olympic Club who served on the Board of Directors and numerous committees. He enjoyed spending his time golfing at the Olympic Club and Silverado, skiing at Squaw Valley, and traveling with his family. He lived his life to the fullest until the very end, actively traveling, golfing, and skiing.
He was a highly regarded attorney for over forty years, founding his own firm, Last & Faoro, which focuses on Construction Law. He was recognized as a Super Lawyer, a Fellow in the Construction Lawyers Society of America, a mediator and arbitrator on the Arbitration Works panel, and a member of numerous construction trade associations. Bill earned his BA from the University of Nevada Reno, his MBA from Golden Gate University, and his JD from San Francisco Law School.
Bill was a loving son, husband, father, grandfather, and friend who always went out of his way to give to others and initiate good times. He was preceded in death by his parents, Bill and Jean Last, and sister, Leslie Last. He leaves behind his wife, Kathy; children, Robert (and his wife Caelyn) and Sally (and her husband Patrick); and grandchildren, Billy and Juniper. One of his greatest joys in life was spending time with his grandchildren and teaching them his mischievous ways.
William C. Last, Jr. is a licensed California attorney whose practice primarily emphasizes transactions, litigation, arbitration, and mediation on behalf of companies and individuals involved in the construction industry.
Mr. Last has represented developers, lenders, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in a wide range of matters relating to mechanics' liens, stop notices, construction failures, latent defects, general contract and bidding disputes, and professional liability, as well as in disputes concerning delays, acceleration, disruption, and payment. Mr. Last has drafted and reviewed numerous construction contracts. He has been successful as lead defense counsel in numerous latent defect cases, including one in which plaintiff's claim exceeded $19.5 million. In a recent matter, a client he represented in a construction delay claim won an award of damages in excess of $1.8 million, including $50,000 in punitive damages.
Mr. Last is a Fellow in the Construction Lawyers Society of America.
Mr. Last is also is a mediator and arbitrator on the Arbitration Works panel.
Mr. Last is a member of a number of construction trade associations. As a result, he is familiar with the issues and problems that the construction industry encounters.
Contract Bidding, Negotiation, and Preparation
Payment and Collection
Construction Related Disputes
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- San Francisco Law School, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1978
- Golden Gate University
- M.B.A. - 1982
- Major: Tax
- University of Nevada
- B.A. - 1972
- California, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- American Arbitration Association, Member, Construction Industry Panel of Arbitrators
- Associated General Contractors, Member
- Association of Builders and Contractors, Member
- Builders Industry Association, Member
- Peninsula Builders Exchange, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- San Francisco County Bar Association, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- Incorporated California Real Property Reporter (Contributing Editor, Matthew Bender)
- California Construction Forms Manual
- Named to Northern California Super Lawyers List, 2007-2021
Certified Legal Specialties
- California Contractor's License, (A&B)